It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 pm

Starting Car Share in Orkney 

Post Starting Car Share in Orkney
Hi - this is Malcolm of Five Senses, trying to start car sharing here in the Orkney Islands.

In particular, the main routes into Kirkwall, from Stromness, Birsay, Evie, Dounby, St. Margaret's Hope, etc - plus South from Orkney to Inverness and beyond! So too for people planning trips up to Orkney from places in the UK, whether using Scrabster, Gills Bay, Aberdeen or Lerwick as departure points.

I will be campaigning for the informal car shares that currently go on to be extended, and for visitors to Orkney to discover a county proactive about environmental issues and car sharing, in particular. We know the bus service is limited and it can be especially difficult getting about in the evenings (and in the long daylight summer this is especially frustrating visitors).

I hope to eventually see people at the roundabouts getting lifts to and from Stromness / Kirkwall, regularly, just as I have seen in the towns of Europe.

Fuel is expensive and global warming is melting the ice - if anywhere is to embrace car share surely it should be the safe county of Orkney?

If you read this - please leave a comment, no matter how small. And lets be positive!
:D

Wed May 30, 2007 1:02 pm
Site Admin

We will help you to spread the word.

J.

Wed May 30, 2007 3:43 pm

I have been thinking about it as well.

Have you made any progress? I am ready to help if needed.

Cheers

Eloi

Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:02 pm
Site Admin

Yes, a quick update would be nice.

I hope this worked.

Here to help, let us know what we can do.

Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:27 am

Post Orkney Car Share
No progress as of yet - but now Eloi has been in touch, things look promising for the New Year!

Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:16 pm